You may already know that fading is one of the most common complaints in our industry. Although there are many steps the stylist can take to prevent this in the salon, did you know that what you do at home can make a world of difference too? Here is a checklist for you to refer to at your convenience. It will be 2nd nature in no time!
- Using a pH balanced shampoo?
- Bringing shampoo to a lather WITHOUT scrubbing?
- Using tepid water to wash and rinse your hair NOT hot water?
- Applying conditioner and saturating hair evenly?
- Leaving it on for a minute?
- Rinse it out leaving it slightly filmy rather than squeaky clean?
- Towel drying hair by gently massaging, NO rubbing or scrubbing?
- Applying a leave in conditioner after shower? (this will balance the pH of the hair and protect the hair and skin from styling and finishing products, UV rays, and heat styling.)
- Using pH balanced styling products?
- Avoiding heavy alcohol styling products?
- Avoiding aerosol hairspray, especially in the 1st 24 hours after a color service?
- CLARIFY, CLARIFY, CLARIFY! Using a non stripping clarifying shampoo at least once a week? This removes all traces of styling products, medications, and trace minerals from water. In turn, your daily products and hair color work more effectively.
- Reconstructor: After deep cleaning with a clarifying shampoo, this is the best time to give your hair all the proteins and moistures to keep it shiny, healthy, and strong.